|Echoes: The Best Of Pink Floyd|
|See Emily Play|
|The Happiest Days Of Our Lives|
Song Name: See Emily Play
Artist: Pink Floyd
Run Time: 2:53
Sung By: Syd Barrett
Written By: Syd Barrett
- The song is about a girl named Emily, whom Barrett once said he saw while sleeping in the woods one night after he had taken an hallucinogenic drug. An article in Mojo magazine called "See the Real Emily" supposedly shows a picture of Barrett's Emily. Barrett later reportedly claimed that the story about sleeping in the woods and seeing a girl before him was made up "...all for publicity." Some speculate that Emily is the Honourable Emily Tacita Young (b. March 13, 1951), daughter of the Baron Kennet and nicknamed "the psychedelic schoolgirl" at the UFO Club.
- The slide guitar work on the song is said to have been done by Barrett with a Zippo lighter.
- David Bowie recorded a version of "See Emily Play" for his Pin Ups album in 1973.
- "See Emily Play" is also known as "Games For May," and sometimes "Free Games For May," after a free concert in which Barrett's Pink Floyd performed.
- The bass riff from the song is similar to the one used in "Goodbye Cruel World", from the 1979 Pink Floyd double album The Wall.
- Barrett, reportedly, wasn't happy with the final studio cut. He protested against its release, which producer Norman Smith has speculated was based on Barrett's fear of commercialism.
|Credits | Chronology|